Cooking while surrounded by the wilderness can be the best feeling in the world. There’s nothing that comes even close to the happiness one gets from seeing sizzling bacon in the fresh air. Everything simply tastes better when it’s been cooked over a fire. Campfire cooking has now become a trend, with many of the best chefs exploring different recipes that you can try while camping.
To get the most out of your campfire your meal, you will need the best cast iron Dutch oven for camping. When one thinks of Dutch ovens, their mind immediately goes back to the old days of the Boy Scouts; the good old days with chili, stews, and even cobblers. A Dutch oven can handle just about anything you throw at it.
In a Hurry? Here are Our Top Choices
You should look up a good Dutch oven if you’re not planning to do the ultra-light camping trend or a 20-mile hike. The perfect Dutch oven for camping trips will be one that is long-lasting and serves good quality food.
The 5 Best Cast Iron Dutch Ovens for Camping
Here are some of the best cast iron Dutch ovens for camping that will alleviate the experience for any camper. When you choose the best cast iron Dutch oven for camping, you’ll enjoy your camping experience that much more!
1. Lodge Seasoned Cast Iron Dutch Oven
The Lodge Cast Iron Dutch Oven comes in three practical sizes: 5, 8, or 10-quart sizes. This family-owned and operated business is known for producing high-quality Dutch ovens. Lodge ovens are known to be top of the line items that ensure that you make the best food. They are built with fine, high-quality cast iron, which is known for its strength and reliability. The cast iron materials have come from the same small town of South Pittsburgh, Tennessee, for the past 120 years.
It is considered the best cast iron Dutch oven for camping due to its flanged lid. The lid is designed to hold hot coals, which ensures that you can cook the food all the way through. It gives the camper some control over the heat. The ideal design of the oven is preferred by expert camper cooks and appreciated by beginners. The cast iron Dutch oven is well-made and versatile, which is why it can deliver all your camp cooking needs.
- The lid can be used as griddle simply by flipping it over
- Pre-seasoned with an organic soy-based vegetable oil
- Last through the test of time and are reliable appliances
- Rated high on online camping websites and Amazon
- Affordable price
- Must be hand washed without soap
2. Bruntmor Pre-Seasoned Cast Iron Dutch Oven
The Bruntmor Pre-Seasoned Cast Iron Dutch Oven comes in two sizes: 6 and 8.5 quarts. This outstanding piece of camping equipment has been rated highly by campers of every level. This Dutch oven has been known to stand the test of time and is a pretty versatile item.
It comes in a three-legged option, which is great for campers who don’t like cooking on flat bottoms due to the increased risk of burning. It doesn’t matter if you’re cooking stew, bread, chili, or cakes, you will definitely be pleased with the result.
Cooking in this Dutch oven is a rewarding experience and can make the camping trip feel more complete. It can make your camping trip completely worth it due to all the delicious food you can have in the open air. The oven is priced well, can be deployed easily, and is incredibly sturdy and durable.
You will not get anything better than the Dutch oven by Bruntmor if you want an inexpensive highly-rated option.
- The flanged lid can hold hot coals so that you can cook food evenly and control heat
- Three-legged cooking option
- The Bruntmor Dutch oven weighs 27 pounds (12 kg), so you definitely don’t want to go on long hikes with this equipment
3. Camp Chef DO-14 12-Quart Dutch Oven
Camp Chef’s DO-14 Dutch oven is the best option for campers who want high-quality camping cook wear that can be used for a large variety of dishes. The heavy-duty Dutch oven can handle all sorts of outdoor cooking with the best possible results. The 12-quart cooking pot is perfect for campers who want to make good food without too much effort.
This 26 pound (11kgs) pot is made with high-quality cast iron, which is known to last for a long time. The design of the Dutch oven facilitates campers in many different ways. The thermometer notch ensures that you can keep an eye on the temperature, which reduces the risk of the food burning. It can also help a lot of you’re cooking something like bread or cake in the oven since they need to be cooked at the right temperature. A well-designed Dutch oven is a versatile tool that can be used for grilling, baking, or depth meals.
- The dimensions of the Dutch oven are 15.2 x 15.2 x 7.8 inches, which is big enough to cook a lot of food
- Seasoned finished
- Thermometer notch for temperature control
- Basic starter booklet for beginners on how to clean, season, and maintain the equipment
- The model’s lid can double as a skillet
- Heavy equipment, not meant for hiking
- Available only in one size
- Has to be hand-washed without soap
4. Winterial Cast Iron Camping Dutch Oven
The Winterial Dutch oven is proven, reliable equipment for camping. It is a multi-use tool with an inverted lid design which can be used as a griddle. It comes in two sizes: 4 and 6 quart. The design ensures that heat is distributed evenly throughout the pot. It also makes sure that anything you cook in it will be exceptional.
- Treated non-stick surface for minimal cleaning
- Unique handle design which can hang from cooking tripods
- The inverted lid can be used as a griddle
- Three-legged cooking option for people who don’t like cooking on flat surfaces
- The size is too small for large camping parties
- Needs to be hand-washed without soap
5. Texsport Cast Iron Dutch Oven with Legs
The Texsport Dutch oven is considered the best cast iron Dutch oven for camping by many outdoor enthusiasts. This Dutch oven comes in 4-quart sizes and has three side handles instead of two. The three legs of the pot can spread oven the campfire coals easily. The wire handle makes it easy to lift the pot out of the fire.
The Dutch oven is available in unseasoned and pre-seasoned models. It is an inexpensive model, perfect for delicious, outdoor cooking.
- Unique handle design for easier lifting and managing
- Three-legged cooking option
- Wire handle makes it easier to cook
- Comes in pre-seasoned and unseasoned models
- The cheapest option on the list
- Manufacturing has recently shifted to China, which has increased complaints
- Only comes in one size
- 4-quart is too small to feed a large group
Our Final Thoughts
The best cast iron Dutch oven for camping can be the difference between a successful trip and one that will haunt you for decades to come. These Dutch ovens will help you make meals that will have you licking the plates clean.
Have fun campfire cooking!